Saturday, October 23, 2010

Acquainted with the night...?

Acquainted with the night
By:Robert Frost

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
O luminary clock against the sky
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

By night, I want to roam the darkened, forbidden streets of the city. I want the streetlights to dim around me. I want the way to be lit with flickering candles. I want there to be not a soul in sight. I want the sound of my footsteps to echo far into the night, piercing its imposed silence. I want the starlight to illuminate me, intercalation of the surreal, apathetic night.
Apostasy of everything we were brought up to believe and further renunciation of everything we chose to believe , I wish this apparition of my mind to come true. At the denouement of this fantasy, I wish to enfold the night in a spell. I want to turn necromancer of the night, each candle flickered out in a cascade, the moon faded away and the stars enmeshed in the dark from whence they came.
Then there, in that moment I wish to be acquainted with the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment